Last time we learnt how to make cardboard characters from empty toilet rolls, today we are going to build a castle for them to live in!
You will need:
- Acrylic Paint
- x4 empty toilet rolls
- x1 empty kitchen towel roll
- small cardboard box
- masking tape
- x2 sheets a4 paper/card
- wooden skewer
- Cut the lid off the cardboard box and turn the box upside down. This is now the main part of the castle.
- Cut out a central arched doorway on your cardboard box.
- Cut square notches out the top of 2 toilet rolls to create the front towers.
- Attach these 2 front towers either side of the doorway using masking tape.
- Cut out a hole in the top of your box – slightly smaller than an empty kitchen towel roll.
- Push your empty kitchen towel roll approx. 10cm into this hole and secure with masking tape at the base.
- With the remaining 2 toilet rolls cut 2 slits on each approx. 5cm apart and only cutting half way up the card.
- Use these slits to slot the loo rolls onto the central kitchen towel roll to create the turrets, secure with masking tape.
- Roll the A4 paper into cone shapes for the roofs of the turrets, secure with masking tape.
- Add a decorative roof wall using the scrap cardboard, cut out square notches to create a castle wall effect, secure with masking tape
- You could even cut out trees and bushes!
- Paint your castle! Paint the block colours first and then add detail such as windows and stonework with a fine brush.
- While the paint is wet sprinkle glitter on the turrets.
- Cut out a flag from paper and poke a skewer through it as a flagpole – poke this through the roof of your castle.
And there you have it, your very own castle!
Next time learn how to make upcycled bird feeders.