Half-Term Activities and Events in Essex
Find activities and events to keep the children entertained this February half-term in Essex.
Langdon Visitor Centre and Nature Reserve
• Bird Box Building (February 19th) : Bird Box Building.
• Bushcraft (February 20th) : Build a shelter to protect you from the weather, then learn fire lighting techniques and cook marshmallows and damper bread.
• Caterpillar Club (February 17th) : A fun morning of indoor and outdoor activities for pre-schoolers.
• Clay Creations (February 17th) : Drop-in throughout the afternoon to make your own creation from air drying clay.
• Children’s Beaded Jewellery Drop-in (February 18th) : Drop-in throughout the morning to make beaded bracelets or sun catchers.
• Family Wildlife Challenges (February 14-15) : Discover a new wildlife challenge for families each time you visit.
• Secret Spies (February 18th) : Are you ready to take on a secret mission?
Barleylands Farm Park
• Hazel Pottery Barn (February 14-15th) : This valentine’s weekend paint a pair of mugs with the special ‘Sweethearts’ Painting Session.
• Half-term Mad Science Week (February 16-20th) : With spectacular demonstrations from Mad Science plus the daily activity timetable.
Billericay Arts Association
• Crafts for Children at Billericay (February 17th) : Have a go at arts and crafts during half-term.
Hannakins Farm Community Centre
• First Kicks Football School (February 19-20th) : First Kicks are running a football camp.
Hanningford Reservoir Visitor Centre
• Green Bunch (February 19th) : Join a group of young volunteers, aged 11 – 18, and take part in practical conservation work to help manage the reserve.
• Hatchlings Club (February 17th) : A fortnightly pre-school group for the under 5s.
• Hawks Club – Brilliant Birds (February 18th) : Enjoy a day on the nature reserve learning about Britain’s barmy birdlife!
• Hedgehog Club – Barmy Birdlife (February 16th) : Learn about the wonderful birds of Britain through activities, games and crafts.
• Wetland Birds Workshop (February 15th) : Looking at the different types of birds that can be found on the reservoir at this time of year.
Bradwell Centre for Outdoor Learning
• Essex Outdoors (February 18th) : These one-day courses are aimed at offering young people the chance to have a go at a new outdoor activity.
Braintree District Museum
• Between the Lines (February 10-14th) : An exhibition in response to the centenary of the First World War.
Karting and Laser Warfare
• February Fun Days (February 18th) : Get the kid’s booked in for some holiday karting fun today.
Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker
• FROZEN, the Pop-up Experience (February 16-22nd) : Princesses Elsa and Anna invite you to join them for a truly enchanting experience for all the family.
Thorndon Country Park
• Wellie Wander (February 16th): Join in the fun at Thorndon Countryside center for a wander in the park to find the secret squirrel!
• Winter Den Building- Igloo Afternoon! (February 16th): Come and join in the fun at Thorndon Countryside Centre for a fantastic afternoon of winter den building.
• Did You Know? Amazing Animal Trail (February 16th-22nd): Pick up a trail guide from Pavilion Cafe and lead yourselves around.
• Woodland Bird Day (February 20th): Come along to Thorndon and follow a self guided trail through the woods looking for woodland birds.
Dance Space Essex
• Crafterina (February 17th) Join Dance Space Essex for a fun craft and ballet workshop aimed at children aged 4-8 years.
Civic and Cramphorn Theatres
• Comedy Club 4 Kids (February 14th) : Cracking entertainment for everyone over six year’s old and under 400 years old.
RHS Garden Hyde Hall
• Children’s Half-term Fun – Wakey-Wakey (February 14-22nd) : A great range of art and craft activities all based on birds and wildlife.
• Woodland Wonders Walking Club (February 17th) : Enjoy a guided tour of Hyde Hall’s woodlands.
• Scarecrow Making (February 14th) : Gather the family for some good old-fashioned fun.
Lee Valley Park Farms
• Opening Weekend and a Week of Fun (February 14-22nd) : Younger children will love making new friends.
The Grange Farm Centre
• Den Building and Toasting Marshmallows (February 17th) : A den-building challenge for children/families, then afterwards toasting marshmallows over a camp fire.
Queen Elizabeth’s Hunting Lodge/The View
• Family Learning Event (February 18th) : Forest life depends on water, but what do you know about its mysteries? Activities for all ages.
West Cliff Theatre
• Grease at West Cliff Theatre & Arts Centre (February 12-14th) : Enjoy again all those well-known songs with the West Cliff Theatre Youth Group.
• The Basil Brush Show (February 20th) : Join in the mayhem with Mr Stephen who is continually interrupted by naughty, uncontrollable Basil.
• Children’s Trail (February 16th) : Come along to Marks Hall this half term to take part in an exciting children’s trail!
Abberton Reservoir Visitor Centre
• Abberton Adventurers (February 18th) : Holiday club for un-accompanied 8-12 year olds.
• Basket-Making Workshop (February 21st) : Make a basket for Easter.
• Brambly Hedge Winter Adventures (February 16th) : The first of many Brambly Hedge themed events as the lives of the mice of Brambly Hedge are followed on some winter adventures.
• Challenge Abberton (February 20th) : A day of games and challenges on the reserve.
• Creepy Crawlies Club (February 18th) : A weekly pre-school session on the nature reserve spending an hour and a half exploring the nature reserve.
• Messy Creatures (February 18th) : An indoor messy play and craft session aimed at the 7 and unders.
• Pond Dipping Afternoon (February 19th) : A fun pond dipping session for all the family plus a trail and games.• Stick At It (February 17th) : A whole day of sticky fun!
• Twilight Explorers (February 21st) : An evening club for all ages,Twilight Explorers.
• Wildlife Watch (February 21st) : For young naturalists (the junior branch of the Wildlife Trusts).
• 3D Picture Postcards (February 16th) : Get inspired by a collection of postcards from the past to create your own 3D Colchester postcard.
Fingringhoe Wick Visitor Centre and Nature Reserve
• Campfire Cooking (February 18th) : You’ll be amazed what you can cook on the campfire – much more than just marshmallows!
• Drop-in clay creatures (February 15th) : Hunt in the secret woods for mini-beasts to give inspiration to make your own clay creatures!
• Drop-in den building (February 17th) : Test your family’s skills as you build a cosy den in the woods.
• Feathered Friends (February 20th) : A morning all about our birds especially for the under 5s.
• Fingringhoe Explorers (February 19th) : Could you survive in the woods? Try your hand at the skills you’d need and have a go at woodland crafts too.
• Love your Birds (February 18th) : As part of National Nestbox Week you will be making some simple bird homes and feeders to help our feathered friends through the rest of the winter.
• Dollop (February 19th) : Sensory play for under-2s.
• Free Family Saturday (February 14-15th) : An intriguing family activity.
• Mary Poppins (February 20th) : A true classic, Julie Andrews plays Mary Poppins the splendid nanny.
• The Boxtrolls (February 21st) : Family Film Autism Friendly.
• Chinese New Year Gala (February 15th) : Packed with exciting dance, art and culture, share in the celebrations of the most important festivals in the Chinese New Year Gala.
• Hansel and Gretel (February 11-14th) : A full scale production of Humperdinck’s fairy tale opera. Mersea Centre for Outdoor Learning
• Essex Outdoors (February 16-20th) : The Aiming higher Activity Experience offers young people with additional needs aged 8 and upwards, the chance to enjoy up to four new and exciting activities throughout the day.
Natural History Museum
• Sock-idermy (February 17th) : Have a go using a sock to create your own stuffed creature.
• Dragon Training Day (February 17-18th) : Put your skills to the test and learn to tame your dragon.
Danbury Centre for Outdoor Learning
• Essex Outdoors (February 16-20th) : The One Day Activity Experience offers young people aged 8 and above the chance to enjoy up to four new and exciting activities on one day.
Mega Camps are dedicated to providing the best children’s camps for children aged 5-14 during the half term & School Holidays in the Essex area.
The Brentwood Centre – Doddinghurst Road – Brentwood – CM15 9NN; St John’s School – Stock Road – Billericay – Essex – CM12 0AR; Paringdon Sports Club – Harlow – Essex – CM19 4QT; Edwards Hall Primary School – Macmurdo Road – Eastwood – Leigh-On-Sea – SS9 5AQ; The Royal Liberty School Upper Brentwood Road – Gidea Park – Romford – RM2 6HJ; Blackwater Leisure Centre – Park Drive – Maldon – Essex – CM9 5UR; The James Oglethorpe Primary School – Ashvale Gardens – Upminster – RM14 3NB; Abbs Cross Academy and Arts College – Abbs Cross Lane – Hornchurch – RM12 4YB; St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School – Scratton Road – Stanford-le-Hope – SS17 0PA
Chafford Gorges Nature Park
• Clay Faces and Bark Boats (February 17th) : Go along and make a clay tree face.
• Clay Potters Wheel (February 20th and 22nd) : Get creative with clay and try the potters wheel.
• Foxy Friends (February 18th) : Discover the life of Fox’s, learn how they survive in the wild and how you can help.
• Kingfishers Club (February 21st) : Have fun in the outdoors, and make new friends.
• Nest Box Building (February 17th) : Make your own robin or blue tit nest box to take home or put up on the reserve.
• Off Your Block (February 19th) : Make your very own carved breeze block sculpture for your garden.
• Sand Art (February 18th) : Fill a sand bottle of your choice to take home.
• Tremendous Trees (February 22nd) : Learn all about the trees in Chafford Gorges and who calls them home.
• Get Crafty (February 16-19th) : Half-term fun with a range of activities throughout the week.
• Lakeside Kids’ Club (February 16-22nd) : Kids’ Club will take place in the Fab Lab and will adventure into space!
Park Inn Thurrock
• Princess Party (February 15th) : Go along to a princess party and enjoy an afternoon with four Disney princesses.
• Disney Holiday Workshop (February 17th) : Creative Blast are back with another holiday workshop.
• The Little Mermaid (February 19th) : The beloved tale of the little mermaid is brought to the stage.
• Snowdrop Sundays (February 15th and 22nd) : The Castle’s winter gardens are possibly the most romantic in the East of England.
Harlow Centre for Outdoor Learning
• Essex Outdoors (February 16th/18th/20th) : The Aiming higher Activity Experience offers young people with additional needs aged 8 and upwards, the chance to enjoy up to four new and exciting activities throughout the day.
Bedfords Park Visitor Centre
• Bird Mad Monday Funday (February 16th) : Join an exciting bird mad afternoon with bird themed games and activities.
• Dens and Survival (February 19th) : Build a den in the woods and learn survival skills such as how to use a flint and steel.
• Greenbunch (February 22nd) : Visit and gain practical outdoor experience and help with the conservation of Bedfords Park.
• Magical Morning (February 17th) : Hunt through the woods to see what magical creatures you can find.
• Nestbox Building Day (February 15th) : Build a nest box for your garden birds.
• Spikey Friends (February 19th) : Visit Bedfords Park for the spikey friends event.
• Wacky Wednesdays (February 18th) : Have an exciting afternoon at Bedfords Park with wildlife and nature themed games and activities.
• Wildlife Discovery Club – Nature Detectives (February 17th) : Spend an afternoon as a nature detective, looking for signs of wildlife and playing nature themed games.
Lee Valley White Water Centre
• Learn How to Paddle (February 16-20th) : Check out the water activities available during half-term and book a paddling session.
• Comedy Club 4 Kids (February 19th) : Cracking entertainment for everyone over six years’ old and under 400 years old.
Langdon Visitor Centre and Nature Reserve
• Family WildLife Challenges (February 14-15th and 21-22nd) : Discover a new wildlife challenge for families each time you visit.
Belfairs Woodland Centre
• Fun Thursday (February 19th) : This Fun Thursday will be frog themed for “Go Green Week”.
• Green Bunch – Young Conservation Volunteers (February 18th) : A drop off event for 11-16 years!
High Beach Forest Centre
• Walk Winter Forest Family Walk (February 15th) : See what’s stirring in the Forest during winter.
Rainham Marshes Nature Reserve
• Wild Families (February 14-22nd) : Free Family Fun Trail.
Stapleford Abbotts Primary School
• The Elms Holiday Scheme (February 16-20th) : Parents can rest assured that their children will have a wonderful time, learning new skills in an action packed sports programme.
Civic Centre Underground Carpark
• Balanceability with Cycles Southend (February 16-19th) : An accredited ‘learn to cycle’ programme for children aged 3 to 5 years old.
• Cat in the Hat Workshop (February 17th) : Enjoy arts and crafts, drama games and a story!
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
• Pirates Week (February 16-20th) : Join Blackfoot the Pirate and friends for a swashbuckling week of fun.
Thurrock Thameside Nature Park
• National Bird Box Week (February 16th and 19th) : Build and decorate your own bird box for your garden.
Tendring Technology College
• Cinderella (February 20-22nd) : Cinderella is given the Thorpe Players treatment.
Saffron Walden Museum
• Family Holiday Activities (February 18-19th) : Fabulous finger puppets.
• Victorian Games Galore (February 16-20th) : From skittles to quoits, croquet to chess, play like a Victorian as you step back in time this February half term.
Royal Gunpowder Mills
• Half-term Horrors (February 14-22nd) : Join Professor Nitrate and his team as they create all sorts of mess and mayhem in the Mad Lab.
Waltham Abbey Library
• Waltham Abbey Pancake Day Races (February 17th) : Back for its fifth year the popular Waltham Abbey Pancake Day Races return on Shrove Tuesday.
• Naze Guided Walk (February 21st) : A relaxed guided walk of the Naze, exploring the geology, 50 million year history and wildlife of the peninsula.
• Captain Flinn & The Pirate Dinosaurs (February 16-17th) : When Flinn discovers a pirate hiding in the school supply closet, it’s all aboard, me hearties, for a real live pirate adventure!
• Roald Dahl’s The Witches (February 16-17th) : Join Nineteen12 in Roald Dahl’s classic tale where you’ll meet a heroic Boy-Mouse, a wise Grandmother and the most fright-some gang of witches imaginable.