Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just hungry for a tasty treat, this Healthy Chocolate and Pecan Fudge recipe by Alice Fotheringham, infant nutrition specialist at the organic baby food brand Piccolo, is the answer to your prayers.
This recipe makes 20 large squares and is suitable for children from 1 year.
Suitable for freezing
Preparation: 20 minutes
150g pecans, roughly chopped
454g jar of no added sugar smooth peanut butter
150g dark chocolate
100g (approx. 6 heaped teaspoons coconut butter/oil)
1 tbsp maple syrup (optional for a sweeter fudge)
- Line a square tin or Pyrex dish with cling film, have the cling film draped over the edges so you can lift out the fudge once set.
- Gently heat water in a saucepan and place a glass mixing bowl on top. Break the chocolate into the bowl and add the peanut butter and coconut oil or butter. Stir until it all melts together.
- Meanwhile, heat up a frying pan and dry roast the pecans for around five minutes, stirring continuously to avoid the pecans catching.
- Pour the pecan pieces into the melted chocolate and mix together.
- Pour into the prepared dish, and gently wiggle side to side to get a flat surface. Put in the freezer for 60 minutes, or until hard before slicing into squares or fingers.
- Store in the fridge for 3-4 days or store in the freezer, as goes soft at room temperature.
Chefs tip: mix up flavours – use cashew nut butter instead of peanut butter, or a combination! Try adding dried cranberries or desiccated coconut. Or using crunchy peanut butter for more texture.