For those of you who have so far escaped the latest Christmas phenomena, The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition is a children’s picture book that was written and self-published by American author Carol Aebersold and daughter Chanda Bell in 2005.
The book tells a story of how Santa knows who has been naughty and who has been nice by sending his little elf helpers to watch over children in the lead up to Christmas Eve, after which they return to the North Pole until the next year.
If your family will be joining in the fun this year, here are 30 simple Elf on the Shelf ideas to inspire the trickster in you in the lead up to Christmas:
1. Will your elf turn up by priority mail?
2. And then celebrate in style like this one from Sweet Shoppe Designs?
3. You could let your Lego people hold him hostage
4. And then dodge Blind Mom’s army men
5. This game of hide and seek demonstrated by SheKnows could keep your little ones busy for hours…
6. Maybe your elf could win at a game of poker?
7. Or a round of Jenga like Snippets from Suburbia elf?
8. Little Bit Funky caught their elf colouring a masterpiece
9. Honeysukle Footprints‘ elf took a ride on a shoe, shoe train
10. Instagram user Adam Waid found his elf making a self portrait
11. While DIY Inspired’s elf made great use of this toy cooker
12. Allow your elf to help with the Christmas wrapping like this one at A Few Short Cuts
13. Follow the lead of Picklehead Soup, and have your elf challenge some soft toys to a sack race
14. And he could even make a great dog walker
15. Will your elf copy Rebecca’s at the Simple as That blog and ‘help’ with the Christmas tree?
16. Rob from your child’s piggy bank?
17. Or be set a drift in his own little boat?
18. Some elves are generous, like this one from Mrs Pauley’s Place
19. He could let rip with a good ol’ fashioned marshmallow fight like Snippet from Suburbia’s
20. And try out his stilt walking
21. Apparently elves are messy eaters
22. But Angie’s elf loves to read
23. Sometimes elves needs some time to cool off
24. The elf at That’s Country Living thinks it wouldn’t be Christmas without snow angels
25. The elf that visits A Few Short Cuts was a great help around the house
26. The official Elf on the Shelf Facebook page shows what an elf can do with a packet of googly eyes
27. And how much fun you can have with some toilet rolls
28. Or perhaps set up a photoshoot like Instagram user jordynns_mommy23’s elf
29. Then polish it all off with a few treats
30. Finally, he’ll need to wish you a fond farewell as he heads back to the North Pole
Do you have any more simple Elf on a Shelf ideas? Share them with us in the box below.