An agency midwife who was working a night shift at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford is to appear before the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) this month after being accused of squeezing a mother’s nipples and acting inappropriately towards her.

During her agency shift at Broomfield Hospital on 16th and 17th June 2014, Samantha Stanton allegedly acted in an unprofessional manner towards a woman in labour by conducting a “rough” vaginal examination, taking notes on a paper towel, and missing two opportunities to provide pain relief.

Among a number of allegations, the agency midwife is accused of shouting at the mum-to-be and telling her that she should imagine that she is “drinking a glass of rum and smoking a spliff” to manage her pain.

In response to the woman’s state, Stanton allegedly said: “What do you expect? You’re in labour, you should be in pain.”

Stanton is also alleged to have told the woman she had “lovely large nipples” and squeezed them without consent.

The midwife will appear before the Nursing and Midwifery Council on February 23, where they will decide if she is fit to practise.

Making a complaint about your NHS care

Do you feel you received inadequate or inappropriate NHS care or treatment? If you would like to make a complaint, you can ask another member of staff at the organisation where you were seen or look on the hospital/trust website to find information on their complaints procedure.

Help with making a complaint

Before making a complaint, write down all relevant details of the event, including dates, times, names, conversations, and any other important information about what happened. These used will be used as part of the complaint procedure, so it’s vital that you write them down as soon as possible while you have an accurate account of what took place.

If you don’t feel comfortable make a direct complaint, you can complain via the organisation’s local Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG). Most CCG websites will offer clear details on how and to whom you should forward information about your complaint. You can find your local CCG here.

Most hospitals are attached to a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), who can offer confidential advice and support to patients and their families and carers. You can find the relevant PALS office here.

Additionally, it is a statutory duty of local authorities to commission independent advocacy services to anyone thinking about making a complaint about their NHS care.

The NHS complaints advocacy services in the Essex area are: (excludes Southend, Thurrock and London Boroughs) – Thurrock – Southend – Havering, Barking & Dagenham