Essex County Fire and Rescue Service (ECFRS) has warned that children are being put at risk from potential electrical fire hazards in their bedrooms.

The ECFRS is urging people to be more aware of electrical fire safety following a charity’s awareness campaign.

The campaign by Electric Safety First found 3 in 4 children in the UK have a potential electrical fire hazard in their room. The average child now had 10 electrical items in their bedroom.

Research by the charity reveals that 53% of children have admitted to leaving their phone, laptop or tablet charging on their bed. Another 38% have left their phones charging under their pillow overnight and 27% bought or used a cheap unbranded charger – all of which are well-documented fire hazards.

Electrical fire hazards: Illustration by the Electric Safety Council showing appliances that can be tested for an overloaded socket

 

 

 

 

 

 

Are you overloading your sockets? Use the Electrical Safety First Socket Overloader Calculator to check.

Electrical fires at home

Between June 2015 and June 2016 the Essex County Fire and Rescue Service were called to 51 fires that were directly caused by worn out cables or electrical overloading.

Neil Fenwick, Head of Community Safety, said: “Electrical devices are a major cause of fires in homes across the County and many of them are preventable.

“We are urging people to take the time to ensure that their electrical appliances are safe and that they never overload plug sockets. Make basic checks around the home to ensure its electrically safety.

“Always make sure that you fit, and regularly test, your smoke alarm. Smoke alarms provide a vital warning that a fire has broken out, giving you and your family the time to get safely out.”

ECFRS are working to ensure 100% of homes in Essex to have a working smoke alarm.

To get a FREE smoke alarm or book a free home fire safety visit from the ECFRS, call 0300 303 0088, or click here.

electrical fire

Electrical Safety Council - small